Hi.

Look at the documentation again in more detail.

http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/javascript/maptypes.html#MapTypeInterface

Base Map Types
Map types which you construct in this manner may either stand alone or
be combined with other map types as overlays. Standalone map types are
known as base map types.

Overlay Map Types
Some map types are designed to work on top of existing map types. Such
map types may have transparent layers indicating points of interest,
or showing additional data to the user.

Image Map Types
Note that this map type is inserted into the map's overlayMapTypes
array.

So you can create a standalone new map type or a map type that
displays on top of other standalone map types.

It sounds to me as if you want to create an OverlayMapType?

Martin.