Hi all,
Thanks for the replies.

I am coming to the conclusion that the KmlLayer cannot be trusted to
reliably display - and that I can see no reliable workaround. Is
anybody confident that the KmlLayer is reliable?

At this point I am considering using individual encoded polylines. The
panning experience for the user is slower but at least the map should
display reliably.

Tiim Haverland at [1] and [2] claims that WebKit browsers cache the
results of the KmlLayer call - *even if the call failed*. This means
that retrying will not work in WebKit browsers. I have repeated his
results with Chrome and Safari. This was with a path which was
dynamic. It was set when a page loaded and retries would continue on
the same path. I had the file cached in memory and my logging showed
it was served within 3s.

An alternative approach would be to use the same filename and rely on
Google's servers caching the result. I don't like this because:
1. It becomes more difficult to protect my content. The dynamic
filename method added a level of difficulty to taking the content.
2. If the first request comes from a WebKit browser then that may fail
for that user - an no retrying will help.

Alternatively, I could cache yet more aggresively using a content
delivery network.

Thanks,
Edward

Links: