I've been looking for this too, and in general, I think that
google.maps.ControlPosition ought to have the same "offset" parameter
that GControlPosition used to have in V2.
A workaround I used is to create a small second map with blank tiles,
place that second map where I want the control to be, put the control
on that second map and coordinate things with the main map in the
event handlers. Not pretty, but it achieves the desired effect.

--
Marcelo - http://maps.forum.nu