What is your definition of "the pegman has been dropped onto the
map"?
When the user moves the pegman from one position to another, it is
also "dropped on the map", but does that count, or is it only the
first drop that you're looking for?

If visible_changed doesn't suit your purposes then perhaps you can use
pano_changed and check getPosition() in the event handler. If you only
want to act on the first drop you can make "position" a global
variable and compare it to the last position in the event handler, for
example

var position; //global
var lastPosition = null; //global
// ...

var svp = new G.StreetViewPanorama(svpContainer,svpOptions);

G.event.addListener(svp, 'pano_changed', function(){
  position = svp.getPosition();
  if (typeof position != 'undefined') {
    //pegman has been dropped on a valid position
    if (lastPosition) {
      // This is not the first drop. Do noting.
    }
    else {
      // This is the first drop.
      // add whatever action you want to take on the first drop
    }
    lastPosition = position;
  }
  else {