Yes, I forgot to test with IE7 and tested only with new browsers. Thanks a
lot for the help.
I'm evaluating whether a custom javascript map is a better user experience
but then I think I can't load KML marker to a custom map that would be an
imagemap of a country.
Both solutions are good and a custom javascript map gets much better
performance than KML in my case, perhaps since it's less requests.
I didn't completely understand "up to the KML complexity limits" - did you
mean that I don't use clustering and could face a problem if KML markers
get too many?

For another site I removed the GMap and now use a custom map instead (
montao.com.br) where I'd like to be able to load markers on a custom map
but it seems difficult or impossible while thinkable to load an invisible
gmap over your own map and that would also work around the limitation of
gmaps that you can't limit the display to just one country and in case for
Montao.com.br I wanted to fade all areas except Brazil.