I was able to find a solution on another message board using the jquery
javascript file. Heres the link if it is helpful to anyone else.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9195814/google-maps-v3-keyboard-accessibility/9218055#9218055
This solution enables a user to tab down to the map and immediately access
keyboard functionality.
The problem now is setting up the map so that markers can be selected using
a keyboard. I don't know if that is even possible and it seems like a
difficult undertaking.