A few days ago I started this thread about a weird KML issue:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-maps-js-api-v3/browse_thread/thread/ac39a185e579e5fc#

Today the author of a KMZ file advised me that markers referenced in
that file and hosted on his own server get transmogrified into blue
paddles.  Here's a link to my production code displaying that file:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?q=http://www.ventanahiking.net/ventana_trailmap.kmz&ll=36.100157,-121.578827&z=11&t=t2

I am guessing that Google is tweaking its KML parsing code and the
above link is showing an unintended consequence.

Anyone else with code that  displays KML/KMZ files with markers hosted
on non-Google servers might want to take a peek at those maps to see
if their markers are displaying correctly.