Excellent, thanks for the advise. Probably server side clustering would be more suitable as all the results need to "be" there. However, what about KML overlays or Fusion tables? Has anybody had much experience with either of these and can comment on the performance?

Thanks,
Henri

-----Original Message----- From: Barry Hunter
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2012 2:22 PM
To: google-maps-js-api-v3@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [Google Maps API v3] Re: Performance scaling google maps application

btw, that is only one approach.

Doing server side 'clustering' might be better suited (rather than
just picking a sample). There are various ways to do that.
https://www.google.com/search?q=server+side+clustering+google+maps

Or you can just outsource it
http://geocubes.com/
one of a few sites offering it :)

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Barry Hunter <barrybhun...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here is a map that does that
http://wales.portal.geographs.org/map.php?view=thumbs

Ok, that particular map is not using millions of markers, but the same
technique works for bigger datasets. (I just dont have any big
datasets using v3 of the maps api)

The biggest issue is deciding which features to show as the 'sample'.
Picking random works reasonably well. But there are more elaborate
ways of doing it. You could perhaps pick the top rated (if your
dataset has that)