Since I am doing this all server side with no need to draw a map, I'm using
perl and some modules obtained from CPAN. Specifically, I'm using
Google::Directions. It turns out that the module had an error in the
Polyline.pm module. For some reason it was decoding the polyline as a
series of offsets from the last point instead of just decoding the values
as the lat and lons. I modified the module so it now decodes the lat/lon
pairs correctly and all is well. Thanks.

Cameron