Just small thinking-question on the topic. All this suggested solutions are
related to 2D space and because here we talk for a maps bounds(circles,
square, polygon...) which are all in is a spherical space (ellipsoid to be
correct but is count as a normal spherical), so the 2D solutions will be
close to correct on a very, very small distances(this can be counted as a
plain 2d) but Im pretty sure that the calculus would fall very fast with
its correctness.

I havent went that dip in the problem for a polygon, but couple of years
ago I implemented this kind of rec for a circle bound in java, and I can
say its pretty different.

-Blaze