Thanks for the info Ralf, I wasn't aware of the credits plan so I'll check
that out. The 50 cents per thousand views option is too much for my site
since for a number of years it's been providing free mapping tools to users
to add maps to their sites without having to code anything.

It's reasonable to charge commercial users like Google do and they do have
a programme for non-profits. The main problem for me and other developers
happens when your site falls between these two categories of commercial and
non-profit. I guess this is why we see so many developers using Open Street
Map rather than Google.

Here's an example project I've done which illustrates the issue
http://www.mapchannels.com/VideoMaps.aspx which uses both YouTube and the
Maps API. I could display the YouTube component as much as I wanted but if
the daily views for the Maps got to 25k then I'd get billed for usage.
Having an ad-supported option like YouTube would be great if Google could
implement this