Problems with the changes include :

1. There is no way to prevent payments being made if the usage cap is
reached. This could become very expensive if map pages get a spike in
traffic.
2. Very short notice was given by Google (only 5 weeks) which makes
changing to an alternative API very difficult.

While it's understandable that Google want to make commercial users pay for
usage there is no consideration given for users who fall between non-profit
or full commercial. Many have been using the API for years and have
contributed with bug reports and feature suggestions over this time. These
maps display on ad supported sites with relatively low income so getting
billed is not a viable option.

Google should reconsider these changes and offer a new ad supported system
for using the Maps API in the same way that YouTube does. Commercial users
would not want ads on their maps but other users would prefer that option
to getting billed.

I did try to post this on the original announcement page
at
https://mapsplatform.googleblog.com/2018/05/introducing-google-maps-platform.html

but comments there are blocked.