When inserting from a url, I get the error:
java.io.IOException: Error writing request body to server
    at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection$StreamingOutputStream.checkError(HttpURLConnection.java:3518)
    at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection$StreamingOutputStream.write(HttpURLConnection.java:3501)
    at
java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedOutputStream.java:82)
    at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.write(BufferedOutputStream.java:126)
    at
com.google.gdata.data.media.MediaSource$Output.writeTo(MediaSource.java:88)
    at
com.google.gdata.data.media.MediaBodyPart$MediaSourceDataHandler.writeTo(MediaBodyPart.java:74)
    at javax.mail.internet.MimeBodyPart.writeTo(MimeBodyPart.java:1485)
    at javax.mail.internet.MimeBodyPart.writeTo(MimeBodyPart.java:865)
    at javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart.writeTo(MimeMultipart.java:462)
    at
com.google.gdata.wireformats.output.media.MediaMultipartGenerator.generate(MediaMultipartGenerator.java:58)
    at
com.google.gdata.wireformats.output.media.MediaMultipartGenerator.generate(MediaMultipartGenerator.java:37)
    at com.google.gdata.client.Service.writeRequestData(Service.java:2071)
    at
com.google.gdata.client.media.MediaService.insert(MediaService.java:397)

When inserting from a file on the filesystem, I get:
A fatal error occurred, abnormal exit
com.google.gdata.util.InvalidEntryException: Bad Request
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Bad Request</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" TEXT="#000000">
<H1>Bad Request</H1>
<H2>Error 400</H2>
</BODY>
</HTML>

    at
com.google.gdata.client.http.HttpGDataRequest.handleErrorResponse(HttpGDataRequest.java:602)
    at
com.google.gdata.client.http.GoogleGDataRequest.handleErrorResponse(GoogleGDataRequest.java:564)
    at
com.google.gdata.client.http.HttpGDataRequest.checkResponse(HttpGDataRequest.java:560)
    at
com.google.gdata.client.http.HttpGDataRequest.execute(HttpGDataRequest.java:538)
    at
com.google.gdata.client.http.GoogleGDataRequest.execute(GoogleGDataRequest.java:536)
    at
com.google.gdata.client.media.MediaService.insert(MediaService.java:399)

Both of these scenarios are from a test situation, where I'm just trying to
upload 1 file, and I refresh the token right before the insert photo.
Don't think it's a timeout issue.  The service code has not change, and has
worked flawlessly for over a year, until Saturday morning, 1/28/2017,
2:30AM CST.  And the code hasn't changed at all in a year.  Reproduced the
error on 2 different GPhoto accounts.
-Christian