Well I tried to do that actually.  I took a paragraph tag and tried to
append it with some styled text (just setting color to orange) and it
didn't work.  I've had other issues with that paragraph tag but
changing color shouldn't have been too much of a stretch.

Just for clarification the line of code was: text.appendMarkup("<p
style=\"color:orange;\">Hello</p>");

And it just appended plain black text to the end of my current
textview text.  Not even a new line.  But that's been discussed in a
different thread...;D