Ok, I must not understand the way Annotations work with Ranges.  I
changed my annotation range to go from 0,2 thinking that the 0th, 1st,
and 2nd characters would get annotated.  In other words, the first
three characters.  Isn't that how you'd expect it to work?  So inside
my question tags i put "hi?" and the question mark didn't get
annotated.  Again, the length of the text of this newly replaced
document with just "hi?" had 4 characters instead of 3.  So then I
tried the range to from 1,3 and this time the 'h' in "hi?" was black
and the other two characters were green.  Still, 4 total characters
found.

The only thing that worked was for me to make the range go from 0,3.
That seems so counter-intuitive to me though since in all other
languages the behavior would be different.  However, this behavior
does lead me to believe that the 4th hidden character is indeed some
sort of marker for the annotation and that it comes at the END of the
text rather than the beginning.

Any thoughts?