This sounds like what OAuth was designed to solve.  That being said, since
your robot is certainly implemented on appengine, you have the local
appengine data store available to store user credentials.  Obviously, don't
store sensitive information in the wave itself.

Keep in mind that wave events aren't authenticated[1], so you have no idea
if the event you're receiving is legitimate.  If you're responding to an
event by doing something interesting with a user's credentials, I would
suggest using a gadget for that (so you can authenticate the user
explicitly).

David

[1] http://code.google.com/p/google-wave-resources/issues/detail?id=344