Thanks Olrech and Pamela!

Please forgive me if I'm being dense here, but it looks like the APIs
you're listing are designed for creating wavelets within an existing
wave, or spawning a new wave from an existing wave.  The issue being
that robots are--and please correct me if I'm wrong--designed to
listen in on an existing wave and react to activity within the wave.
What we're looking to do, on the other hand, is run services external
to Wave, and based on external events, communicate to Google Wave that
a new top level wave (not wavelet) needs to be created with a set of
participants.

Now, as I type this I'm thinking that I might be able to use the
current APIs in an unorthodox way to get this functionality.  Perhaps
I can manually create a starter wave with myself and a monitor robot
as participants to bootstrap the robot.  Once it's running, the bot
can 'pull' any new wave notifications from our external service and
spawn new waves with the appropriate participants.

Still, it seems like some kind of Google Wave listening service that
would allow us to 'push' requests to Wave would be a more
straightforward and efficient mechanism, but this should be enough to
get us started.

Thanks again!
--Justin