Yes, the gadget inserting robot works - since I use that. =)

The trick I used to determine when my robot should add a gadget to a
wave it's added to and when not to - is to use a proxy robot address
(e.g. instead of ro...@appspot.com, I use something like robot
+addgad...@appspot.com).

I then check through the added participants on WAVELET_SELF_ADDED for
this (there's probably an easier way than that but I ran into dead
walls exploring and settled =) ) and insert a gadget.

if (tempEvent.getAddedParticipants().contains("robot
+addgad...@appspot.com")) {
    //Insert gadget here:
}