ATM, you can get all blips & their content (I've tested in the Java
API) on WAVELET_SELF_ADDED by setting a context="children"
content="true" in the capabilities.xml (remember to change its version
number there to ensure Wave picks up the change in event tracking)

You could right now just use .getChildren().size() - but this is
likely to change and it'd be better to do a recursive count through
the children and their children's .size().

Then store this total count in the wavelet's data document and
retrieve it and update that value each time a blip is created/deleted
(though determining when a NEW blip is created rather than re-
submitted is non-trivial at present I suspect, since I believe
WAVELET_BLIP_CREATED has an issue raised on it not triggering except
on a root blip IIRC).

However, with the above total count you could happily then trigger
every 100 blips.