The statement

Blip blip = e.getBlip().createChild();

creates a reply to the blip that fired the event.
Of course, if the firing blip is the last blip of the wave, the new
blip will be appended
to the end of the wave, just like when you use Google Wave normally.
The reply "tree"
would only work/be visible if the firing blip is in the middle of the
wave.