Thanks for your reply.

I made some tests, you were right about the mime types, they make a
difference.

Generic server (free shared hosting):
http://romanito.ovh.org/wave/full-size-image/manifest.xml
Served as application/xml - Does not work.

Google Code Project Hosting:
http://romanito.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/wave/gadgets/full-size-image/manifest.xml
Served as text/plain - Does not work.

GGE:
http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/file/115796239262785573913/full-size-image-manifest.xml
Served as text/xml - Works.

So text/plain does not work. Also it would be a good idea to allow
application/xml files to be processed, as some servers seem to handle
XML files that way.

Thanks,
Romain.