Otherwise you can listen for DOCUMENT_CHANGED events in your robot and
pull data out of the gadget state.

...but here's an example, of using makeRequest():
(this is a gadget)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<Module>
<ModulePrefs title="State Example" height="220">
  <Require feature="wave" />
</ModulePrefs>
<Content type="html">
<![CDATA[
#content_div {
    height: 100px;
    width: 400px;
    border: 2px solid #efefef;
    font-family: arial;
}
#msg_div {
    height: 80px;
    overflow: auto;
}

    <!-- Gadget bootstrap. -->
    <script type="text/javascript">
        var obj = {
          'msgs' :  document.getElementById('msg_div'),
          'init' : function() {
            if (wave && wave.isInWaveContainer()) {
              var params = {};
              params[gadgets.io.RequestParameters.CONTENT_TYPE] =
gadgets.io.ContentType.TEXT;
              var url = "http://www.google.com";;
              var response = function(data) {
                obj.msgs.innerHTML = 'cAllback from makerequest: ' +
data.text;
              };
              gadgets.io.makeRequest(url, response, params);
            }
          }
        };
        gadgets.util.registerOnLoadHandler(obj.init);
    </script>
  ]]>
  </Content>
</Module>