I think you can work around that. First, if there is a 300 ms delay
from the server response, the timer would be off by 600 ms total and I
don't think that anyone cares about half a second. The time to press
the stop button is well over half a second already unless you hover
over the stop button beforehand. But if you really want it to be ultra
precise, you can put that 600 ms into the equation because the
response also includes the time of how long the request took so you
can substract that delay in your calculations and then you are as
precise as you can get, maybe off by 5 ms or something.

I may be wrong with this, I haven't tried it, but I think this should
work.

Your other points are valid though. Although personally I don't care
about having to scroll to see the timer but that's a matter of taste
of course.