Pamela,

One more thing, I noticed when selecting the username for the sandbox
account, there are 2 contradicting sets of instructions:

"Can be letters, numbers, underscore and dot - [A-Za-z0-9_.]"

"Application Identifiers may contain only numbers,lowercase letters or
hyphens and must be between 6 and 30 characters.."

The account availability checker does not allow hyphens.