There may be cases where this is permissible. For example, a MapWidget
might return LatLng objects, rather than having a Long and Lat field
which are separately bound.  In the context of OpenSocial or GData, I
could see a common reusable widget for picking from your network that
would naturally return something like a Person. The reason it might do
this, is because the binding itself might be overly complex. The
widget might present friends in a tree of groups, allow search, pull
from multiple networks. In general, the internal state of the widget
might be too complex to expose for binding to via getter methods.

-Ray