On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:34 AM, BobV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Here's a strawman proposal for handling different types of
> EmittedArtifacts in the Linker API and how that would interact with a
> WAR output format.

Cool.

First, it's great to have a list of the categories of output.  There
seem to not be very many.  The following names seem straightforward to
me:

browser (not listed): things that need to be served out to the browser
server (listed as "context"): things needed on the server, but not
being sent out
extra: other stuff, such as SOYC output and log files

One big question: why a separate packer step?  My naive understanding
is that the point of a linker is to decide where the various bits of
compiler output will go on disk.  Is there a reason to discontinue
that?  It sounds possibly quite confusing to have both packers and
linkers that the user must choose.

With a linker-only strategy, wouldn't all we need to do would be:

1. Update the artifacts to match the new categories.
2. Update the linkers to deal with these.

Someone wanting a non-war deployment would have to either pick out the
pieces from one of the standard linkers, or write their own linker.
Both seem pretty easy.

Lex