Hi Folks-

This doesn't appear to be a known issue and I didn't manage to dig up
any previous conversation on the topic, so let me offer my apologies
in advance if this has been covered before.

When adding multiple incubator widgets that use StyleInjector, we ran
up against a limitation in IE. In our specific situation, when adding
lots of spinner controls to a single page we started seeing this stack
trace in the hosted mode console:

[ERROR] Uncaught exception escaped
com.google.gwt.core.client.JavaScriptException: (Error): Invalid
argument.
 number: -2147024809
at com.google.gwt.libideas.client.StyleInjector
$StyleInjectorImplIE.createElement(Native Method)
at com.google.gwt.libideas.client.StyleInjector
$StyleInjectorImplIE.injectStyleSheet(StyleInjector.java:56)
at com.google.gwt.libideas.client.StyleInjector.injectStylesheet
(StyleInjector.java:96)
at com.google.gwt.libideas.client.StyleInjector.injectStylesheet
(StyleInjector.java:121)
at com.google.gwt.widgetideas.client.ValueSpinner.<init>
(ValueSpinner.java:181)
at com.google.gwt.widgetideas.client.ValueSpinner.<init>
(ValueSpinner.java:160)
at com.google.gwt.widgetideas.client.ValueSpinner.<init>
(ValueSpinner.java:145)
at com.google.gwt.widgetideas.client.ValueSpinner.<init>
(ValueSpinner.java:120)

Compiling the same code and running it in IE produced a runtime error,
but Firefox didn't.

After a bit of sleuthing we found this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262161/en-us

which indicates that IE will process a maximum of 30 stylesheets in a
page. The KB article indicates that the issue applies to IE versions
through 6.0 SP1, but I'm seeing the runtime error in IE7 as well. We
haven't tried IE8 yet.

Unfortunately I don't have any brilliant suggestions as to what to do
about this. I suppose the right thing to do would be to modify
StyleInjector so it doesn't add duplicate style tags when processing
multiple widgets of the same type on a page.

Regards,

James