This is going to make our next 1.6 -> trunk merge mildly unpleasant, but we
need the 1.6 fixes at c4298 and c4299 'cause we're seeing them in the trunk,
but want minimal other changes until we're sure the current mess around the
confluence of event updates, hosted mode, war mode, AND oophm have settled.
 (Can we institute a one-a-week or one-a-fortnight policy for "big" merges?
 I trust tests, but I trust tests-and-shakeout-time more... and Issac,
here's a case where we *are* hiding something; I can't cite the code that's
gotten messy: it's not GWT's code, and it's not open source.)
Attached patch is meant to replicate 1.6 4298:4299, only, onto trunk.

Note, in a similar messy-merge bit, that trunk c4266 also needs to
down-merge at some point.