On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Freeland Abbott
<gwt.team.fabb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Patch(es) not attached, so this is fairly high-level. ;-)

Doh!  Attached for real now, with updates.

> So long as your patch puts jarjar into tools, and you're just not including
> the binary file 'cause patch can't deal and it's big anyway, that SGTM.  If
> you're proposing that  folks can get jarjar themselves, that sounds bad.

No, I just didn't want to send the actual jar around unless it seems
necessary.  The jar would go in the tools directory, under
lib/tonicsystems.

> I think it's a bit dangerous to assume that nobody doing development runs
> ant (I still have old emacs/ant habits, for example, and occasional uses for
> them that seem to make sense)... but I don't think that changes your
> conclusions; if I had to, I'd just work off the -raw.jar or look up the
> renaming.

I didn't mean it as an assumption, but as a description of the most
typical build setup.  It's true that using the raw file directly is an
additional approach that should be pretty reliable.

> Note that my rules don't solve "all" of these problems; the first several
> clauses are all about listing exceptions... most of them are from the JDK
> (no problem), but tapestry is an outlier.  Given that it seems to
> dynamically build classnames, I don't see a jarjar-like way to address it...

Yes, there are still some internal dependencies exposed.  We can do
more over time.  If nothing else, we can develop a patch for tapestry
to make it fit jarjar's assumptions.  One step at a time, though.
This patch already renames a large pile of classes.

> SWT was another outlier; I take it you resolved that?

No, I just used some rules of yours I found in a stray email
somewhere.  Indeed hosted mode is broken with the above patch, so I
must have had an old set of rules.

The attached patch adds SWT to the list of exceptions.

> Given that we're in XML and thus can have comments, we should explain why
> the exceptions are there

Good point.  I don't know all the reasons though!  I have reasons for
SWT and tapestry.  Do you remember the reasons for the remaining ones?

      <rule pattern="org.xml.**" result="@0" />
      <rule pattern="org.w3c.**" result="@0" />
      <rule pattern="org.omg.**" result="@0" />
      <rule pattern="org.ietf.**" result="@0" />