On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Allan Jacobs <jacobsallans...@gmail.com>wrote:

> http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/makinggwtbetter.html#compiling
> describes how to download and compile GWT source.  Download, it says,
> starts with the Subversion command line
>
> svn checkout http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ trunk
>
> This is not quite accurate.  Outsiders can only get a copy using
>
> svn checkout http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
> google-web-toolkit-read-only<http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/%0Agoogle-web-toolkit-read-only>

The difference between these two commands is simply what directory on your
local machine the repository is checked out into -- you can name it whatever
you like (I typically name it after the changes I am working on there).

> This is understandable:  there needs to be a mechanism to control code
> commits.
>
> But, there is a side effect.  The source code cannot be compiled using
> the build.xml in the read-only copy.  There are a small set of tools
> that are required.  Most of these can be assembled using other
> download sites.  One jar file, gwt-customchecks.jar is not publicly
> available.

The only reference I see to gwt-customchecks.jar si in common.ant.xml, and
there it refers to it as
${gwt.root}/eclipse/settings/code-style/gwt-checkstyle.xml -- since that is
part of the GWT trunk itself, I am not sure why you are having difficulties.

> Is this a mistake by the engineering team?  Or, should I start hacking
> the build.xml?

As Ray mentioned, the next step is to check out the tools directory, which I
assume contains the set of tools you are missing.  If after doing that you
still have problems, please post the error messages you get.  You should be
able to follow the instructions in that document and just run ant to get a
complete build of what we ship.

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google