John,  A google hosted service would be great, sounds like a good, valuable
service, of use to everyone on the web. I don't mind asynchronously fetching
this data, because you typically have to ask the user which TZ he's in
anyway, unless you try to infer it from the browser's Date.toString()
method, which isn't always reliable. (Some browsers report actual TZ Common
names, others don't)

-Ray