Hi Jay,

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:48 PM, jay <jay.gin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm curious as to how it is decided a new drop of incubator should be
> made available? Is it based on a new GWT drop? Or maybe, there is no
> real release cycle?

Basically in parallel with the GWT releases. The Incubator trunk tries
to be compatible with GWT trunk and the latest GWT release.

> How about testing? Is there any official testing on the incubator
> widgets? Is it just the unit tests, plus whatever bug reports that may
> come in?

There are unit tests, the demos, and anyone using Incubator trunk in
development. I couldn't tell you how many developers are in that
group, but it's at least one.

> Being an incubator, I'd expect breaking changes to roll through
> periodically. Is there usually a "hey...we're going to break this
> tomorrow" email that comes through the list before these things
> happen?

Major changes usually have a design document on the wiki and
discussion thread on this group.

> Finally, I've not seen any good description of how it is decided when
> an incubator widget "graduates". I guess, more particularly, what is
> holding back the current set of table widgets from graduating into the
> trunk?

There aren't specific criteria that I've seen, either. I suspect (and
this is purely speculation on my part - clarifications or
contradictions welcome!) that promotion is largely driven by the needs
of internal Google projects. If that's true, then those widgets are
probably some of the most thoroughly tested, critiqued, and generally
banged-upon in the Incubator. So that's a good thing.

Re: table - the gen2 PagingScrollTable went through a fairly major
redesign recently. I haven't seen any discussion of pending
graduation. I imagine it needs time to "settle" after the shake up.