Ah. I will look at doing both :-)

In the mean time, here's the solution I just stumbled upon. In my
derived class:

  int index = ...; // figure out the column that we're sorted by.
  Element headerElem = getHeaderTable().getFlexCellFormatter
().getElement( 0, index );
  applySortedColumnIndicator( headerElem,
tableReportComponentDTO.sortAscending );

I'd suggest adding the following method to PagingScrollTable:

  public void setColumnSortList(
    TableModelHelper.ColumnSortList sortList
  ) {
    getDataTable().setColumnSortList( sortList, true );

    Element headerElem = getHeaderTable().getFlexCellFormatter
().getElement( 0, sortList.getPrimaryColumn() );
    applySortedColumnIndicator( headerElem, sortList.isPrimaryAscending
() );
  }

jay