+GWTC

With regard to the Mac looking for gwt-dev-linux, since I don't literally
see a build-dev target, what's the chain above the line you cited?  I
thought my fixes to <property.ensure> in e.g. user/build.xml line 47
addressed that, and I see I missed some (in doc, samples, and soyc-vis...
only the last of which is likely to be stopping you, though).

With regard to using buildonly as precursor to tests, I think you want to
the target dist-dev, though I'm open to suggestions for how this "should"
work.  It used to be that:

   1. we had both "build" and "dist," as separate targets (unchanged),
   2. tests effectively require a distribution to run in (unchanged),
   3. we had "buildonly," but did not have "dist-dev," so the two were
   blurred explicitly (changed),
   4. "build" depended, by way of "-do," on "dist," which I found
   confusingly backwards (changed),
   5. top-level "test" depended on "build", which depended on "dist" as
   above (changed to depend on "dist-one," but should probably be dist-dev
   instead now that it exists),
   6. "build" was the default target, which as above worked because it ran
   "dist" as a dependency (changed; "dist" is project default target, and
   depends on build).

Solutions:

   1. Do we want buildonly to imply dist-dev?  Do we want build to imply
   dist?  My intuition is no, that if separate, build builds and dist packages
   and dist needs build (but not vice-versa).  That is semantic a change from
   before, though.
   2. If not, then we want to retrain ourselves to use dist-dev at least
   once, to get the distro set, even if you then use buildonly after that to
   refresh sources?