Note that the referenced Firefox bug is marked as fixed/resolved, but it
didn't make it into the Firefox 3.5 release branch (they're expecting to
ship a fix in 3.5.1, which essentially means we're all going to be stuck
with this behavior for at least a year or so).

I've tested this patch on a large internal application that was throwing
exceptions because of the aforementioned bug, and it very clearly fixed
the issue.

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/49803/diff/1/3
File user/src/com/google/gwt/user/client/impl/DOMImplStandard.java
(right):

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/49803/diff/1/3#newcode65
Line 65: }
Changing these methods to simply use the Java Event.getRelatedTarget()
methods ensures that relatedTarget will always be accessed through the
guarded method.

Also, don't worry about the .cast() calls -- these (old) methods have
always assumed that an Element would get returned (as opposed to an
EventTarget). So they're no more wrong than they ever were :)

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/49803