Yup, the XHR-based IFrameTemplate seems to have been causing the HUGE delay
you and I were both seeing when setting the url #hash for History.newItem().
I'm afraid I'm going to have to revert back to the more-poorly-parallelized
version of the selection script to get this fixed (at least for now). Thank
god we didn't put this in the 1.6 release branch.