Oddly enough, that's correct. The lack of doctype, or an explicitly "quirks"
doctype as below, always puts IE8 into compatibility mode, which is pretty
much identical to IE7 -- so you get the ie6/7 compiled permutation, because
the ie8 one wouldn't work at all. Another way of saying this is that there's
no such thing as IE8 quirks mode. Weird, eh?
Do keep in mind that GWT apps generally work in standards mode, but your
layout may do some surprising things, especially for some of the table-based
layouts such as StackPanel. I'm working feverishly to get a replacement
layout system finished that will eliminate the need for most tables in
layout, and allow us to move forward towards (eventual) standards-mode-only
support.