There are three cases where custom parsers come up:1. Widgets without a
default constructor.
2. Non-widget UIObjects that need an XML representation.
3. Panels that need more than the default add() method to deal properly with
child widgets.

The former is usually pretty easy to work around, and it seldom comes up
much in practice (I think it came up for MenuBar, because it wants its
'direction' as an invariant -- that wasn't even a good design anyway).

The second case doesn't come up all that often, but it's important for menus
and trees.

The third case is the most problematic. Take DockPanel, for example: It's
really not going to be able to do anything useful if you just call add() on
it, because it doesn't know where to put the child. These sorts of panels
need extra attributes or elements to specify where to put children.