I think I'd rather look at any such work as orthogonal perf metrics data
gathering since it is really is, functionally, an independent question of
the log level. For example, we might want to see the effect of logging
itself on the speed of hosted mode refresh.
I think some sort of separate global collector mechanism would be a better
design.