Comment by joelgwebber:

This system is most emphatically *not* meant to be a template system, in
the sense of JSP. It's not something you "run" every time you need to
update data -- rather, it's a simpler way to write widget construction code
that can be a giant pain in Java. It also makes it much, much simpler to
mix in simple HTML constructs where appropriate, without having to go
through all the difficulty of using widgets like HTMLPanel by hand.

As to XML vs. JavaFX, I think Yegor pretty much captures it -- if there
were no HTML involved, it would probably be a toss-up. But there's no
getting around the fact that we do have to interoperate deeply with HTML
constructs, which really are sometimes the best (and often the most
efficient) way to get things done in a browser.

For more information:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/UiBinder