That is right, at the time that the project is GWT-enabled it checks for the
existence of a war/WEB-INF/web.xml.  If that exists it will think that it is
dealing with a war-style project and then it will use the HostedMode if it
is available or DevMode when launching the application.  With that version
of the plugin, if you have a war/WEB-INF/web.xml file in your project, then
you can go to the project properties, and disable gwt for the project apply
the changes, go back in and re-enable GWT.    That should make it think that
it is dealing with a war layout project and it won't use GWTShell.

There are a few problems with this heuristic that we need to revisit post
1.2/2.0.