As a developer I absolutely agree with Mr. Ryan here... I hope that
this isn't taken the wrong way, but it's so difficult to customize any
given tool that GWT hands us. The eventual answer always seems to be
"make a custom build" which is extremely hard to sell to anyone other
than a GWT developer.

For additional related information, see the following issue:

http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=3628