http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/159804/diff/1/3
File user/src/com/google/gwt/dom/client/StyleInjector.java (right):

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/159804/diff/1/3#newcode101
Line 101: private static native int getDocumentStyleSheetLength(int idx)
/*-{
From the discussion in the bug reports, I have the impression that there
isn't really a way to cache any of this information.

I suppose we use a different strategy such as appending to a random
style sheet, or only querying the sizes of a subset of style sheets.  We
wouldn't guarantee to pick the minimum but we might be ok on average.

Do you know of any benchmarks for this case?