I'm testing that if you try to use MessageTransport.executeRequestAsync(..)
and the server side of the network has closed its input stream, then an
exception will be thrown (an ExecutionException with an underlying cause of
IllegalStateException).

I don't think shutdownInput(..) would work, because it says that any input
coming in will be silently discarded. I could probably use
network.getClientSocket(..).shutdownOutput() to achieve the same effect,
though I was really trying to test the case where the server side shut down
the input stream.

I don't know if there is a better way to do this than polling.