On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:21 AM, dflorey <daniel.flo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to easily serialize GTW-serializable objects to string
> on the client side?
> I'd like to be able to story arbitrary objects to the html5/gears
> local db as string.
> Any ideas? Can I hook into the GWT rpc-serialization mechanism?

The problem is for efficiency reasons the GWT RPC serialization is
asymmetric -- the client can't deserialize what is serializes and
vice-versa.

Also, values stored in a local database will likely need to be used across
versions of the app, so GWT RPC isn't really appropriate anyway -- probably
better to use protobufs or JSON, though in either case you give up the
ability to represent arbitrary Java object graphs.

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google