I solved the problem... This had nothing to do with the GWT. The
problem was with adding a folder to java class path dynamically.
Although at first I thought I had done it correctly, it turned out
that that's a little tricky...

For anyone else with the same problem - here's a gist on how to solve
it...
http://gist.github.com/387972

As you can see, a call to protected method is required in order to add
a folder to class path.