The last sentence was the only thing I was going to add here (except you
included it): I know my first cut is compilation-valid, which I think means
it has to be runtime-valid.

I guess we have violent agreement that gwt-servlet should eventually become
just **/shared/** and **/server/**.  I can get us a lot closer to that in
one change, and then work to prune the exceptions down with more incremental
refactoring.  The alternative approach would be to refactor first, leaving
the blacklist in place (except probably in my personal workspace) until
that's done, and THEN move to whitelist.