It's confirmed. GWT engineers are working on it (by removing expense
from the list of samples to be built from default Ant targets).
Expense can be built with Maven 2.2.1 at the mean time.
The required libs are supposed to be in tools, but GWT team decided to
not add them to tools (I guess because the appengine jars are
changing).