As discussed, please fix samples/expenses too. Below I've answered the
XXX blockers you pointed out so you should be able jump on it.

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/924801/diff/2001/3007
File user/src/com/google/gwt/app/place/AbstractProxyListActivity.java
(right):

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/924801/diff/2001/3007#newcode114
user/src/com/google/gwt/app/place/AbstractProxyListActivity.java:114: //
       Operation.CREATE));
I'm pretty sure that ID is never used, this is vestigial. Make it null
and I believe nothing bad will happen.

At the moment this is only exercised by addon-gwt. I don't want to hold
up your patch getting that fixed, so you'll have to take the fix on
faith and I'll have to follow up your submit with the banishment patch
I've been working on.

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/924801/diff/2001/3008
File user/src/com/google/gwt/app/place/PropertyColumn.java (right):

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/924801/diff/2001/3008#newcode74
user/src/com/google/gwt/app/place/PropertyColumn.java:74: public String
getValue(R object) {
Indeed, a smelly hack and a loophole the size of a barn door that would
lead to a generation of unoptimizable GWT apps.

As we discussed offline, delete this method and have its uses in
samples/expenses implement it as needed.

But *don't* eliminate the property name stuff. Despite the DRY
violation, that's needed downstream by code that fills out the with()
clauses when building requests

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/924801/show