Turns out that ant is already covered: user/build.xml has, in part:

  <!--
    Classpaths added for test cases
  -->
  <path id="test.extraclasspath">
    <pathelement location="${gwt.build}/out/dev/bin-test" />
    etc.

so dev/bin-test is already available.  I guess source code wouldn't be, but
translatable tests seem unlikely to mess with TreeLoggers, and empirically
when I ran "ant tests," the only problem I got was was from
com.google.gwt.validation.tck.ConstraintCompositionGwtSuite.xml
(draft-htmlunit and nometa-htmlunit only, dev, emma, and web were all
fine)... I assumed that was a system flake, not something symptomatic of my
change.  The error was "Testcase: Monitor file
(blahblahblah/junitvmwatcher6602185781037387809.properties) missing,
location not writable, testcase not started or mixing ant versions?", which
seemed unlikely to be related to migration of UserTestTreeLogger, especially
with the others passing.